Friday, October 3, 2008

Between Worlds

I wish I could share pictures, but the camera equipment is in a box. On a truck. In Texas. Texas.

We're out of the apt - oh so much harder emotionally than I thought it could be. Every time I stopped being so busy, I would just cry. Perhaps it's unhealthy to be so attached to a place - city or dwelling - but that is definitely what I am. After our AMAZING friends helped us move our stuff out of the apt ALL DAY LONG (thanks, Friends!!), we reminisced in our quiet, empty apt about how amazing our lives have been here, and about how incredibly lucky we are to have had the opportunity to live the way only some people can dream about. I will never ever forget how happy I have been here.

I am now working on the phase of being excited to see the new home that we actually own in Austin, another really amazing town.

Earlier when I meant to write this post, Erik and I were both between worlds. He was in transit to Austin, and I am still living in DC, but with friends. I'm happy to report that he and his sidekick, Jason, have safely arrived in Austin, and are tired beyond words. I, myself, went to bed at 6pm the past two nights and forced myself not to do the same tonight, so I can only imagine that Erik is delirious. But I did get a twinge of excitement when he called with his arrival news, and once he wakes up, I can't wait to hear about his impressions of his first home (that he owns). I'm sad to not be experiencing this week with him, but hopefully the money I am making will be worth it (like...we'll be able to eat - yea!).

The season here in DC has completely changed - fall has rushed in with very cool days and cooler evenings. City people are running around in their fall attire - some in the latest fashions, and some in the sweaters they've dug out from the bottom of their closets. I will miss how very stark and complete the four seasons are here in DC. It's funny that fall here is kind of how winter is in Austin. But when cold-fronts hit in Austin, it gets down in the teens and skips the snow all together - Austin just goes straight for the ice storms - the rest of the winter is very mild. But there is something to be said about not having to lug your heaviest long coat everywhere you go. I'm looking forward to a fall and winter of wearing just layers. And I intend to keep my DC-experience as a deep internal layer that I will never peel off - one that I will always know is there.

No comments: