Saturday, October 11, 2008

Blow Out

Today was my first full day in Austin. After a safe and somewhat emotional arrival last night, we ventured out in our Beastie Boys-video Oldsmobile that we're borrowing from my dad. We enjoyed waking up to a cool and overcast morning, staring at our backyard trees from our bed. Then we had breakfast at a favorite breakfast spot that exudes "Austin" (Kerby Lane) before heading off to shop for some basics (trash cans, etc.).

We decided to stop and get the alignment checked on the Oldsmobile since it was turning out to be pretty shaky (like more than the suspension that Erik repeatedly claimed "characteristic" of such old-school "rides"). While "Speedy Alignment" checked our car for what seemed like hours, we strolled through Target for only the second time in years. Being overwhelmed by all of the offerings (and having only a bike lock in the shopping cart), we decided to check-in with the car place. They said they had aligned it, but that it really needed a new tire.

At this point, we decide that it would probably be wise to let my dad know one of the tires seems to be "split", and that we're conveniently sitting in the parking lot of Discount Tires. He says that he happens to have a warranty on those tires through Discount Tires, and that he'll call back after he rummages through his papers to find it. In the meantime, we check with Discount Tires to see if they have a warranty under his phone number - they do. So the man comes out to take a look at them and informs us that the tires are 11 years old and no longer under warranty (and totally "split").

After reporting this to my dad and getting the same answer that he needs to find his paper work, we are getting hot and decide to at least get in the car and move it to the shade so that we can sit in it. We move it across the parking lot to the shade, and guess what - we can't turn it off again. The ignition or something is completely jammed and the car will simply not turn off. With a quarter of a tank of gas, and being all the way across town from my dad, we tell him that we will just bring the car to his house instead of sitting here burning gas while he figures this out.

Slowly we go with our hazards on, and on the freeway about halfway there, things are getting pretty shaky, and guess what - the tire blows. So we force the car over to the median and proceed to dig out the spare (donut) and a jack, and guess what - no jack. So then we call my dad to come meet us. And guess what - the car is still running. While waiting for a long time (and after I have run across the freeway to pee in a nearby bush), three nice men pull over and let us use their jack to get the donut on. By the time my dad arrives, the donut is on and we're ready to "roll".

Thankfully he offers to drive the Olds while we follow in his truck, and guess what - the donut blows. He maneuvers the Olds into a parking lot where we have to turn the car off by disconnecting the battery (and taking it with us so that it doesn't get stolen, since the key is still jammed in the ignition). From there on, it was a safe journey to his house where he had my sisters old convertible Z waiting for us (not as cool as it sounds, but it runs!).

Once we get a little more set up, I promise to post pics of our place. It looks great and we're really enjoying it. What we expected would be a good day of unpacking got lost on the car stuff, but we are taking it one box at a time.

I am fortunate enough to have been able to keep my DC-job part-time through March, and to telecommute from home. Erik and I have set up two little offices in our house, and we are preparing for a productive work week conducted from our home!

My last days in DC were really, really great, and I still feel like I'm just visiting Austin and squatting in someone's house. But more and more it's hitting me that I'm a homeowner (in this economy), and that I'm a resident of Austin (with a DC drivers license). Erik's smile is bigger than I've ever seen it, and really, that's all I care about at the end of every day.

No comments: