Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Mueller? Mueller? (or was that Bueller...?)

We're back from Texas. Again.

We had a memorial service/family reunion for my uncle Eddie who died last month. It took so long to have the service because we had to locate all of his "estranged" kids, and do other complicated things that I won't expand upon. The important thing to mention is that a gaggle of kids that have never met before got together and bonded like nothing I've ever seen. Oh, and not to mention, they are spitting images of their father, and most of them had never met him. It's really, really crazy how even mannerisms transfer to your children without even being around them.

Not only did I meet the only cousins I have (besides the ones on my mom's side, all of whom I have never met...), but we also saw both of my siblings with all of their children, in full action, out at a country BBQ. My brother is pregnant with his fifth, and my sister is pregnant with her 4th (and my other sister, who was not there, is possibly going to get pregnant again this summer- her oldest is in high school!) - all I can say is respect, respect, respect. The fact that they still get up EVERY morning and do it all over again is amazing to me...I have nothing but straight-up respect.


That's just 4 of them (my brother has twins!!!)...




Two of my siblings (and Dad).


And oh how productive our trips are to Texas! They are completely sleepless, but productive (no sympathy from Ravyn there... And did I mention that we saw her bundle of joy, too?!). We saw AT LEAST 30 houses in 2 days. I saw that many on the last trip in 3 days, but if you double the people (Erik came this time), we found that you can do it in 2 days!

So we've pretty much decided upon an area. Unless something ridiculously awesome comes up in a more desired area, we are good to continue a more narrowed search which is a tremendously easier hunt from afar. The neighborhood is called Delwood in an area otherwise known as Mueller. It's named after the Robert Mueller airport that used to be located there (and hence the goofy name of this post). It was decided to move the airport further out and to develop the space much like all the other cities that have ever done this. The result? The houses in that area are rising in value, and now there's lots of shopping. Total re-gentrification, but there's always a good and a bad side where that happens.

But it turned out great for us, because not only did we decide upon that area, but we decided upon a house! We made an offer yesterday on a house that met our specs with regard to the sqft, walkability to things, 40ft+ trees in both yards, 3 beds, 2 baths, 2 living areas, equity-gaining potential and decent schools. Now THAT's a lot to ask for our price-range in a hot area, but we found it!


Notice how I haven't gone on and on about the inside. It's because the inside is nothing to write home about, but there's a lot of potential because the space is big, and the layout is decent. We may be a little embarrassed (or me anyway) at the first couple of gatherings we have with how 80's it is, but I'm sure we'll talk a lot about "our vision" for the house. Too bad we'll be too broke when we get there to do any updates right off, but at least we have a vision to get us through (we'll see what I'm saying when I'm postpartum and hate everything...)!

It's hard to tell what will happen because houses at this price/sqft in this area are flying off the market in 19 days, and ours has been on for like 22, but we'll find out more on Friday!

Holy Guacamole! Where's Pancho? We're moving to Texas!

2 comments:

Brock said...

I must continue to protest the reference to the closest friend/relative as the pregnant one, even though they are male. I will even concede that a couple can "have a baby" ... but the convenience of speech allowed by saying that the male is pregnant does not override the horrid misuse of a word, certainly not a word having a direct definition of "containing a developing embryo, fetus, or unborn offspring within the body".

Though... another definition of pregnant is "rich in significance or implication". And your brother being pregnant is a pregnant thought indeed.

:)

P.S. I look forward to chillin in the 80's house, so long as I'm not banned for pedantry!

Novice Nester said...

I'll remember that, I think...