Monday, June 30, 2008

So...is that it...?

After Erik and I put an offer on a house last week, we received the most precious counter offer than I had ever expected. Not only did she hand-write a letter to us (which her Realtor scanned and emailed to ours), but she wrote carefully and patiently about the house's history, it's previous owners, it's scrapes and cuts, and it's Band-Aids. This precious 80-year old woman continued to write about how much we will bring to Austin from DC, and how much she would like for us to raise our family in this house. She also spoke of the wonderful neighborhood, and how there are many new families and a "baby parade" every day of the week. She is moving to CA to be close to her daughter, and she is glad that we're moving to Austin to be closer to family, too. I almost cried it was so touching. And it's almost like she knew exactly what my anxiety points were and calmed them like a mother would (how very Austin of her to be so thoughtful).

Needless to say, it was very hard to negotiate business and play "hardball" with an 80-year old woman that is sweeter than your grandma!! As our Realtor said, "she is very proud of this house and is probably not going to let it go easily, so go up a little in price, but stay pretty low and see if she'll come down a little more...then we'll see - we can always make another counter when she counters or refuses."

But here's the funny thing: she didn't counter. She accepted our offer, and we're "under contract"! I almost fell over I was so stunned. It all happened so fast! We thought we'd be at it for at least another week of back-and-forth. But instead, we're under contract and awaiting an inspection. We sent a big-ol' check in the mail for what's called "earnest money", and I guess now we just wait and see how the inspection turns out.

My dad is going to accompany the inspector in our place, and he's also going to measure the rooms for us while he's there. If you couldn't tell from the video, I originally did not think that was the house we were going to buy or I would have been taking much more careful footage and measurements (and talking very excitedly!). Who knew?!

In addition to the inspection, we also have to get a quote for homeowners insurance (scary!). And of course, there are other steps, too, but I'll let you know more when we get to those.

So it's not the ah-hah! house that I imagined, but I love it more and more everyday, and I'm having a great time talking about potential changes with Erik. If we end up getting this house, I think it will be fun to work creatively together in a way in which we've never done. Arranging furniture in a rental is so different that tearing down walls in a place that you own together (with your credit and financial life at stake!). I look forward to watching Erik's creative side go wild. We don't have much money to play with (at all actually), but that makes it even more fun!

Cheers to the process and whatever it may bring us! It's an unpredictable adventure thus far!

2 comments:

Brock said...

That is so awesome!!! Congratulations!

I've never heard of a letter like that, what a great way to start a relationship with a house.

Novice Nester said...

Thanks, Yo! I feel pretty lucky to have had such a first positive buying experience, no matter what happens at this point. I never expected to get so lucky with having a seller that is so genuine and trustworthy. We are super fortunate because I don't think this is common.