Wednesday, September 9, 2009

First Shot :(

Stella endured her first shot yesterday, and she took it like a total champ - much better than I did. On the way to the pediatrician, I literally cried when I pictured the actual shot and the pain she would face and not understand. I nursed her during the shot to try and comfort her and keep her screaming to a minimum, but like the nurse warned, it didn't work. She was happily suckling, and as soon as she felt the stick, her mouth opened as wide as it could and a huge wail escaped her throat. But then only normal crying ensued, and not even for very long at all. We certainly deal with much, MUCH worse crying fits at home due to colic or reflux or whatever it is that dominates every single evening from 5pm-midnight.

Just to be fair, her parents also endured a flu shot on the same visit (what a very convenient courtesy our pediatrician provides for a small price!). We were not planning on receiving flu shots at all because we never get them, but as it was pointed out to us, it's different when you have a baby. We don't want to be responsible for passing on the flu to her, especially since she cannot get a flu shot of her own and cases of swine flu are already being seen in our pediatrician's office. We were glad to know that we could take it instead of her!

Stella also received her first written prescription for heartburn medication. As I have blogged before, she seems to be suffering from pretty severe heartburn that is consistent and persistent every evening. I absolutely detest using prescription drugs when other more natural options haven't been exhausted, especially with children. That is why we have been using the homeopathic and harmless over-the-counter remedies that have been recommended. But they haven't been working, and more than I hate prescription drugs, I hate seeing my daughter in constant pain. If it will bring some relief to her, I feel like we owe her that much.

We have not filled the prescription yet because I want to do my own research on the side affects, and anything else I can find about it. Then we'll see...

Daddy comforts her after the shot


On the way home from the "dumb shot!"...




Back home and back to playin'






2 comments:

BerlinBound said...

Congrats to all three of you for getting through Stella's first shot! I also hope that your research will turn up nothing bad about the heartburn medication and that it will provide some relief to her. By the way, I thought that the regular flu vaccine doesn't help against swine flu. Have they come up with a combined vaccine already that I haven't yet heard about on this side of the pond? That series of three pictures is SO CUTE!

Novice Nester said...

Thank you!

No,they don't have a combo yet...and the swine flu vaccine doesn't come out until Nov. But I've heard that staying generally healthy and fighting off other flus often helps not attract yet other kinds of flus...? Lordie, who knows?!